Lime Connect partners with leading universities in the United States and Canada - our corporate partners' core schools where they have historically found hiring success - to attract highly accomplished students, and alumni, with disabilities and then prepare and connect them for careers with the world's leading corporations.
A group of our Lime Connect Campus Ambassadors from New York City
Since our founding in 2006 we have focused on developing these valuable, mutually rewarding relationships, and work closely with career services, disability services, alumni offices and other key stakeholders that include faculty, staff and more.
Our university partners know that:
- 1 in 10 students on university campuses today has a disability, and approximately 1 in 5 individuals in general has a disability.
- For every 10 students who are registered with disability services, another 6 are not because they do not require an accommodation.
- The percentage of college freshmen with a disability has more than tripled in the last 20 years.
- 90% of all disabilities on campus are "invisible" - including learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, medical conditions and more. 70% of disabilities in general (non-campus) are invisible. When a disability is invisible, the fear of disclosure can be great.
- Students with disabilities are intimidated by the standard corporate recruiting process, and only an estimated 30% enter the regular stream. The other 70% are underemployed, or remain in academia - which is seen by many as a "safe environment."
- Experienced candidates with disabilities can also be intimidated by the standard corporate recruitment process and as a result not seek career advancement.
- Lime Connect, and our partners, put talent first and disability second. Lime Connect candidates compete, as they desire to do, with all other candidates for positions. There are no "special jobs for special people," and we work together to see our candidates' talent and intellectual capital lead them to success.
If you're affiliated with a university and would like to stay informed of new opportunities and programs that may benefit students who happen to have disabilities, we welcome the chance to share the word with them. Please register as a Friend of The Lime Network today, and read more about our corporate partners here.