Presented annually by Lime Connect to recognize a young professional with a disability who has exhibited success, and leadership in the disability space.
Tom Wilson is Lime Connect's "first believer," advocate, and board chair emeritus. We are excited to celebrate our 15th anniversary as a not-for-profit by launching an award in his name to recognize young professionals who live out Lime Connect's mission of "rebranding disability through achievement."
Update: The winner of the 2021 Tom Wilson Leadership in Disability Award has been selected! Click here to learn about Varun C. and what made him stand out!
As Lime Connect president/CEO Susan Lang says, "without Tom's support, there would be no Lime Connect. He understood the immense talent that people with disabilities possess, and also fully realized Lime's value proposition. His decision to establish Merrill Lynch as Lime's first partner led the way for other global corporations to follow, and we will forever be grateful to Tom for his vision, leadership, and commitment to the professional development of high potential individuals with disabilities."
Recipients of this prestigious award will:
Participate in career-changing mentorship with a Lime Connect board member during their award year
- Be recognized, and receive the award, at a dinner with Lime's global board, corporate partners, and Fellows in NYC (late July 2021, travel included)
- Be recognized, and share their story, at a "Fireside Chat" with Lime's Canada board, corporate partners, and Lime Network members in Toronto (Spring, 2022, travel included)
- Receive recognition by Lime Connect and the broader disability and general communities through ongoing PR communications
- Be highlighted in Lime Connect marketing materials and website as the inaugural recipient
- Build community with future Tom Wilson Leadership Awardees and serve as a role model for Lime Network members
- High potential/highly accomplished young professional (5-10 years in career)
- Individual with any type of disability
- In the U.S. or Canada
- Lives out “rebranding disability through achievement” through success in their profession and/or being outstanding in their field
- Has exhibited leadership, and/or serves as a role model, in the professional/corporate disability space, e.g., helped to start an ERG, mentor program, highly engaged in recruiting employees with disabilities, etc.
Note: The scope of this award does not include leadership in disability rights or disability advocacy work. Current Lime Connect NextGen board members are not eligible.
Applications for the 2021 award have now closed
How to apply:
- Log into, or join The Lime Network
- Find the announcement for this award with further information on how to access the application.
- Complete two (2) short essays of 500 words or less on the following:
- How have you rebranded disability through achievement in your work?
- Should you be selected as the inaugural Tom Wilson Leadership in Disability award winner, how will you maximize the recognition and platform you have been awarded?
- Upload your resume
Help us spread the word!
Do you know someone who is deserving of this special recognition? Share this unique opportunity today! If you have additional questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* A person with a disability is defined as someone who has or considers themselves to have, a long-term or recurring issue that impacts one or more activities that others may consider to be a daily function. This definition also includes the perception among others that a disability exists. We know that 90% of disabilities on campus (and 70% of disabilities among the general population) are invisible, and candidates with all disabilities are encouraged to join The Lime Network and take full advantage of the benefits it offers